This Morning's Harvest

This Morning's Harvest
Yard long beans, Filet and yellow beans, squash, cucumbers and Sungold Cherry tomatoes

This Week's Harvest

  • Melons - Crenshaw, Honeydew, Watermelon (yellow/orange flesh)
  • Basil - All summer(small leaf), Genovese (large leaf)
  • Peppers - Serrano -hot
  • Eggplant - Orient Express, Dancer
  • Garlic
  • Yard Long Beans - Green and purple
  • Beans - Purple Velour filets, Concador filets, Fortex pole, Carson yellow wax, Northeaster flat italian
  • Squash - Mix of Zucchini & yellow squash
  • Onions - Yellow Granex, Burgundy
  • Beets - Chioggia, Blankoma
  • Scallions - large size purple and white

Monday, July 5, 2010

Planning for Fall -- Already

It is hard to believe that in the middle of Summer I'm already trying to get Fall planting organized. I would love to have input from everyone. I have listed below what I have planned so far. Please take a look and let me know if you have any additions or subtractions. You can leave a comment to this Post or email me directly. Pretend it is your garden, what would you plant? If no one wants to eat Kale for example, I'll not waste the space and time. The fall garden is really my favorite. All the root veggies are soooo much sweeter and I don't have to squish so many bugs!!!

The Swiss Chard has unfortunately bit the dust...too many bugs eating on it now. We have been picking a few Heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, butternut squash and spaghetti squash. We should have enough to share soon. The beans are tiny but alot of them. We planted 2 varieties of yard long beans, Gita and Red Noodle. 2 bush bean varieties Burgundy and Isar and 2 pole beans, Fortex (green) and Marvel of Venice (yellow).

Just a reminder, even though these vegetables have never had a spray or dust on them, they do still have dirt and a few passenger bugs. So, please remember to wash your vegetables just before you eat them. I do very little washing to help them last longer.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to share a recipe I tried last night using Swiss Chard and Garlic from your garden so I'm voting for more in the fall!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110
    After reading the comments, I cut the olive oil in half for the beans. Also, I didn't use fennel seeds and I used about half the garlic. The dish was delicious and nutritious thanks to Jeannie's greens and garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am supposed to vote on the offerings for the fall. It all looks GREAT but I'll share my thoughts.

    I've never cooked Kale so it's hard to vote against it! I think we would like it. I loved your Broccoli and am looking forward to more. I've had the Raab before and would love have some fresh from your garden. Due to the other eater in the house, I'd opt out of cauliflower in general (but if you planted it, I'd try it at least once!). Also, he's not a parsnips nor turnips fan but again, I'd order some to try to convince him! What you have is soooo much better than store-bought produce!

    Mustards and Collards would be iffy here. I'd want lots of Spinach and Chard. I'd try Braising greens balanced in with those two. I'd prefer Pac Choi over cabbage on a regular basis.

    It looks like a great list. I'm just putting in my two-cents worth. I would definitely try everything you listed!

    Thanks!
    -Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Cathy! I'm with you on turnips and mustard but I'm hoping that someone has some good recipes to share. I always seem to grab the Chard if I want any kind of greens...I plan on planting alot this fall.

    ReplyDelete